users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Time lost int the deploy and restart JEE Applications

From: vince kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:54:36 -0700

Hong fails to mention one VERY important point...

  using directory deployment

If you are building a war or ear file to deploy, you cannot take
advantage of this capability.

If you are creating a war or ear file and deploying that, you will waste
a lot of time...

Take a look at this screencast...
http://serverplugins.netbeans.org/screencasts/dosPlusKeepSessions.html

The IDE is just using directory deployment and triggers the redeploy
when classes and descriptors are changed...

And it does it very quickly...

Where the initial deployment took over two seconds, the redeployments
are taking about 150ms.

Note: the IDE is not doing anything super secret.... All the magic that
NetBeans uses is available to any user via the admin cli... and even the
admin gui to some extent...

vbk