users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Is the Transaction Timeout in the Transaction Service how often it cleans up?

From: sankara rao bhogi <Sankara.Rao_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 12:24:07 +0530

Vince.Power_at_medavie.bluecross.ca wrote:
> Is the Transaction Timeout value in GlassFish v2's Transaction Service
> how often a thread runs in the background to clean up, or does
> something watch every transaction and kill it after the value's time
> has been reached.
>
> It appears to be something that runs every x amount of time, but the
> documentation makes me think it watches each individual transaction.

Vince,

Timeout value in transaction-service element determines the default time
out value for any transaction, which is started and it is equivalent to
calling UserTransaction.setTimeout(timeout) and UserTransaction.begin().
Default value "0", meaning no time out.

When it comes to the timeout manager, if it is non JTS (non XA) local
transaction (only non XA resource is used) then JDK timer utility is
used to manage transaction time outs. If it is a JTS transaction, then a
thread which runs at a configurable timer interval (default is 10 secs),
manages the time outs. com.sun.jts.timeoutInterval system property can
be configure the time thread interval.

regards
sankar