users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Re: How to support a new Database in Toplink

From: Markus Karg <karg_at_quipsy.de>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 17:50:21 +0200

Once upon a time Oracle developed a rather big, commercial O/R mapping product named "TopLink". The JPA part of this product was open sourced, hosted on java.net, years ago under the name "TopLink Essentials". This is the RI of JPA 1.0, and this is what is bundled with GlassFish v2.

Few months ago, Oracle then decided to publish the complete "TopLink" product (not just the JPA part as with "TopLink Essentials"), under the name "EclipseLink", hosted on eclipse.org. The packaging was changed from "simple" jars to OSGi modules, as usual in the Eclipse eco system. The JPA part contained in "EclipseLink" is the RI of JPA 2.0, and this is what is bundled with GlassFish v3.

As there is no more active "TopLink Essentials" development anymore (Oracle concentrates on "EclipseLink", as GlassFish v3 will be released in autumn), it makes not much sense to write a "TopLink Essentials" driver (so-called "DatabasePlatform"). It makes more sense to write a "EclipseLink" "DatabasePlatform" (driver) if you want to get it bundled in the box.

Regards
Markus