users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Architecture-related question (Multi-Layer App)

From: Adam Jenkins <adamjenkinstmpredirect_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 19:36:19 -0700 (PDT)

Spring? Sheesh. Why not just use JEE EJBs? @Stateless or @Stateful for the business object @EJB in the client done! and you get all the other bonus stuff like seemless JAAS integration with the server, integration txn management (yes, I know spring hacks...I mean 'has' this), fantastic scalability, swapping and pooling mechanism to protect your server from overload and your app has one less dependency, ...all configured and managed in a nice GUI instead of a terribly unintuitive XML file. People are so quick to overcomplicate their architectures with extra frameworks when 90% of the time the core JEE spec will do you just fine. --- On Mon, 15/6/09, glassfish@javadesktop.org <glassfish@javadesktop.org> wrote: > From: glassfish@javadesktop.org <glassfish@javadesktop.org> > Subject: Re: Architecture-related question (Multi-Layer App) > To: users@glassfish.dev.java.net > Received: Monday, 15 June, 2009, 10:38 AM > Out of the three alternatives I would > go with the first too. I think OSGI is more relevant for > modularising at infrastructure level - not at application > level. > > Thinking outside the given alternatives, I would actually > just go with a Spring web application rather than Grails, > without an extra layer interacting using webservices. I > would of course still separate the business logic into > separate Spring beans, so that if load-balancing is needed > later on, you can separate out the business logic beans in > to multiple back-end servers, but the presentation layer can > still interact with the logic using the same interfaces > (using Spring remoting, Hessian/Burlap or webservices). > Also, other presentation layers (Swing, mobile, etc) can > interact with the same business logic beans. Otherwise I > think you will end up with a complicated architecture even > if you don't ever need load-balancing in the future. I > suppose it comes down to whether Grails is your preferred > presentation layer. > [Message sent by forum member 'manjuka' (manjuka)] > > http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=351120 > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net > > Need a Holiday? Win a $10,000 Holiday of your choice. Enter now.http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylc=X3oDMTJxN2x2ZmNpBF9zAzIwMjM2MTY2MTMEdG1fZG1lY2gDVGV4dCBMaW5rBHRtX2xuawNVMTEwMzk3NwR0bV9uZXQDWWFob28hBHRtX3BvcwN0YWdsaW5lBHRtX3BwdHkDYXVueg--/SIG=14600t3ni/**http%3A//au.rd.yahoo.com/mail/tagline/creativeholidays/*http%3A//au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset/%3Fp1=other%26p2=au%26p3=mailtagline