users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Architecture-related question (Multi-Layer App)

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:38:47 PDT

Out of the three alternatives I would go with the first too. I think OSGI is more relevant for modularising at infrastructure level - not at application level.

Thinking outside the given alternatives, I would actually just go with a Spring web application rather than Grails, without an extra layer interacting using webservices. I would of course still separate the business logic into separate Spring beans, so that if load-balancing is needed later on, you can separate out the business logic beans in to multiple back-end servers, but the presentation layer can still interact with the logic using the same interfaces (using Spring remoting, Hessian/Burlap or webservices). Also, other presentation layers (Swing, mobile, etc) can interact with the same business logic beans. Otherwise I think you will end up with a complicated architecture even if you don't ever need load-balancing in the future. I suppose it comes down to whether Grails is your preferred presentation layer.
[Message sent by forum member 'manjuka' (manjuka)]