users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Glassfish security - login status

From: Martin Gainty <mgainty_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 14:59:18 -0400

A fairly comprehensive layout of supported authentication mechanisms in TC is located at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-4.1-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina/authenticator/package-summary.html

top-bottom order indicates simplest to deploy to the most secure security algorithm:

AuthenticatorBase
Basic implementation of the Valve interface that enforces the
 <security-constraint> elements in the web application
 deployment descriptor.

BasicAuthenticator
An Authenticator and Valve implementation of HTTP BASIC
 Authentication, as outlined in RFC 2617: "HTTP Authentication: Basic
 and Digest Access Authentication."

Constants

DigestAuthenticator
An Authenticator and Valve implementation of HTTP DIGEST
 Authentication (see RFC 2069).

FormAuthenticator
An Authenticator and Valve implementation of FORM BASED
 Authentication, as described in the Servlet API Specification, Version 2.2.

NonLoginAuthenticator
An Authenticator and Valve implementation that checks
 only security constraints not involving user authentication.

SavedRequest
Object that saves the critical information from a request so that
 form-based authentication can reproduce it once the user has been
 authenticated.

SingleSignOn
A Valve that supports a "single sign on" user experience,
 where the security identity of a user who successfully authenticates to one
 web application is propogated to other web applications in the same
 security domain.

SSLAuthenticator
An Authenticator and Valve implementation of authentication
 that utilizes SSL certificates to identify client users.
Martin Gainty