users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Glassfish doesnt start in Eclipse after changing the master password

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 05:27:24 PDT

Hi!
Thanks for the reply and yes that worked fine.
However since the password is displayed in the Eclipse Console when I start my server, like this:

. ASLauncher Executing command ..
. InputLine ->null<-
. InputLine ->null<-
. InputLine ->[b]MyDummyPassword[/b]<-
. Redirecting output to C:/glassfish/domains/domain1/logs/server.log
. Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 9009
. Application server is listening at address 9009 for debugger to attach...

I must either stop Eclipse from displaying the password in plain text, or maybe if I could move the master-password file to a secure location or use a password file (--passwordfile filname) from a secure location. That way the server couldn't be started without being logged on to that secure location.

I haven't managed to do any of the above except for not having eclipse display the password. But that can easily be changed back which means that its not a viable solution.

What I am trying to do is to secure my passwords on a development machine in such a way that they "can not be retrieved" if my laptop is stolen.

Is that possible?

I am not ruling out that I'm going about this in the wrong way.

I will start a new thread to discuss this since woel answered my initial question. For those of you who are interested the subject will be "Securing passwords in a development environment".

Thanks again
/Eric
[Message sent by forum member 'eric1234' (eric1234)]