users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Maximum Connections Reached: 4096 -- Retry later

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 10:15:49 -0500

Salut,

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> We are seeing this message when users try to access apps on the Sun app server. Any idea what is causing connections to not be released? We have to restart the app servers to recover from the situation.

All Grizzly WorkerThread are blocked and requests are queued, until the
maximum is reached. The issue is most probably caused by a
database/jdbc connectionpool lock or on an I/O operations. Can you add,
in domain.xml:

<jvm-options>-Dcom.sun.enterprise.server.ss.ASQuickStartup=false</jvm-options>

Also, when you see that error msg, can you grab a threaddump (jstack PID).

> Googling this error only found a suggestion to increase the number of connections.

I don't think this is right (at least I would like to see the jstack
before doing that). Increasing the number will just delay the issue.

What we need is something that actually fixes it so that those
connections are freed up or closed and available for reuse.

Thanks!

-- Jeanfrancois