users@glassfish.java.net

Re: your current Glassfish evaluation

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:58:18 +0100

On Mar 11, 2009, at 14:45, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> Ok thank you very much for your very interesting answers. I might re-
> evaluate glassfish with your help.
>
> Actually, we have eliminated all app servers not meeting these
> essential requirements:
> • JEE application server
> • free and open-source
> • lot of documentation
> • load balancing
> • EJB3
> • persistence
> • web services
> • portability
> This is why Tomcat and Websphere are not in the list. And there are
> no many other studies findable on the Internet. Among the few ones,
> too much compare all the application servers on features they all
> have, and conclude that they are all trustable. But our company is
> looking for what plus and what minus they have compared to each
> other in order to be sure, not to determine the best one, but the
> most interressant for our needs.
>

> So your comments about glassfish clusturing, failover, and load
> balancing capacities are very interessant for us. But we have
> difficulties to see the frontier between Sun Java Server Enterprise
> Edition and Glassfish. Are you sure the clusturing, failover, and
> load balancing capacities you talked about are in glassfish, in the
> open-source project?

Sun was confusing a number of people by having 'glassfish' on one side
and 'sun java system app server' on the other side while the two
products were really one and the same. So we changed the later name to
"Sun GlassFish Enterprise".

Everything I've described (including all the clustering/LB parts) is
part of the open source bits. Sun GlassFish Enterprise is essentially
a supported offering from Sun. One notable exception is GlassFish
Enterprise Manager [1] which provides advanced production tools for
supported customers.

Note also that the release model of GlassFish is to ship the open
source and supported bits at the same time with the same level of
quality.
I'd recommend you listen to the latest episode of the GlassFish
Podcast where this is explained http://blogs.sun.com/glassfishpodcast/entry/episode_029_introducing_sun_glassfish

This other episode touches on similar topics: http://blogs.sun.com/glassfishpodcast/entry/episode_025_discussion_with_eduardo

cheers,
-Alexis