users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Urgent: Issue with mapping domain name with ip address

From: Wolfram Rittmeyer <w.rittmeyer_at_jsptutorial.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 15:18:34 +0100

Mohamed Mujahid wrote:
> Thanx for the reply
>
> I have an static IP in my server (72.167.47.185). I have installed the
> GlassFish in this server. My website can be accessed by directly from
> the static IP as a remote. It works fine. (Ex:
> http://72.167.47.185:8080/mywebpage).
>
> Now, I bought a domain name as www.mywebpage.com
> <http://www.mywebpage.com> from GoDaddy. In the MX Record in the
> GoDaddy, we can point to our server. Then I point it to my static IP
> address (72.167.47.185).

Hi Mohamed,

the MX record is for SMTP (mail delivery) only. You have to change the A
record.

> When I type www.mywebpage.com <http://www.mywebpage.com> in address bar
> of the browser, the domain name www.mywebpage.com
> <http://www.mywebpage.com> should be point to
> http://72.167.47.185:8080/mywebpage

Domain name resolution furthermore only translates a name to an IP
address. Thus you have either to use port 80 for your http-listener-1 or
you must forward requests that are incoming at port 80 to your port
(8080). This can be done with iptables (on Linux).

--
Wolfram Rittmeyer