users@glassfish.java.net

Re: asadmin in v3: Requesting user feedback on functional spec ...

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:18:52 PDT

> First of all let me just say that I love all the
> proposed enhancements and new features. Given that as
> developers we spend a great deal of time working with
> asadmin, it's great to see that the tool is getting
> attention in v3 release.

Thanks Igor. I am glad you like it.

> Some comments:
> * [asadmin-options] [command-name] reordering - it
> really makes more sense in this order
Yes.

> * the use of http/https protocol - is it going to be
> a RESTful API? That would be sweet and would open up
> lots of new possibilities.
Umm. Not the HTTP API. The RESTful way is something different.

> * the web mode - this can be a major differentiator
> from the competition

I sure hope so.

> * will command aliasing support multiple commands? so
> that I could create an alias for a sequence of 2-3
> commands?

That's a good thought. The problem is with error reporting, I guess. I modeled it on the simple Unix Shell concept.

> * ruby bindings - really interesting, so is the ant
> and maven support
Yes!
> * asadmin.yml - thanks for doing the cleanup, the
> situation with all the various config files is
> getting messy

Yeah.

> One thing that has always bugged me was an inability
> to do a domain restart with one command. I don't know
> why such a simple, yet commonly needed feature is
> missing.
>
> asadmin restart-domain <domain>

I think this should just be asadmin <identify host with --host, --port ...> restart.

Noted.

- Kedar
[Message sent by forum member 'km' (km)]