users@glassfish.java.net

Re: asadmin in v3: Requesting user feedback on functional spec ...

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:33:42 PDT

First of all let me just say that I love all the proposed enhancements and new features. Given that as developers we spend a great deal of time working with asadmin, it's great to see that the tool is getting attention in v3 release.

Some comments:
* [asadmin-options] [command-name] reordering - it really makes more sense in this order
* the use of http/https protocol - is it going to be a RESTful API? That would be sweet and would open up lots of new possibilities.
* the web mode - this can be a major differentiator from the competition
* will command aliasing support multiple commands? so that I could create an alias for a sequence of 2-3 commands?
* ruby bindings - really interesting, so is the ant and maven support
* asadmin.yml - thanks for doing the cleanup, the situation with all the various config files is getting messy

One thing that has always bugged me was an inability to do a domain restart with one command. I don't know why such a simple, yet commonly needed feature is missing.

asadmin restart-domain <domain>

This should work both locally and remotely.

thanks,
Igor
[Message sent by forum member 'iminar' (iminar)]