users@glassfish.java.net

Re: ip filter on webservice or url

From: Gabor Szokoli <szocske_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 13:46:59 +0100

Hi,

For the lack of a better answer, here's how I'd do it:

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:50 AM, <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org> wrote:
> Can I setup some glassfish component in order to permit only few ip to access a webservice?

I don't think so, but you can configure a virtual server, and
configure the application to be available on that virtual server only.
Then you can configure a dedicated HTTP listener, and bind it to a
specific network interface by it IP address.
Here you use a sub-interface, or interface alias, eth0:1, or whatever
your OS calls them.
Then you use the IP networking support of your OS to control access to
the interface.
(Considering it's 2009, I must assume even Windows should be able to do this.)

> I wish to make a webservice and deploy it. After outside the webservice (ear, war or jar) I want to configure a component in order to abilitate this webservice (or some http url) only for a trusted ip.

You could of course always write your own security realm for glassfish.
Or use apache in front of it.

Or think about how fragile and vulnerable IP address based security
can be in the light of IP address spoofing and network topology
changes, and move to certificates instead :-)

just my $0.02, YMMW, IANASCP, etc.

Gabor Szokoli