users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Outside world cannot connect to my server.

From: Jim Driscoll <Jim.Driscoll_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 16:16:10 -0800

Simple question: can you ping your IP from the host that's trying to
connect? If not, what's traceroute say? If so, then it's possibly an
app server problem.

If pings don't work because your firewall won't allow them, then can
telnet ip-number port# work?

I suspect it's not an app server problem.

Some home networks use their own IP addresses that won't work on the
outside world. Also, some IP providers don't want you running servers
at home, and filter out connections back in.

Can you connect within your local network?

there are literally dozens of reasons why this might not be working, and
almost all of them have nothing to do with the server on your machine.
  You may wish to engage with the support staff for your IP provider -
it may be quicker then having people guess your network connection setup
blindly...

Jim