users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Application download not working with java web start

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:29:37 -0600

What version of GlassFish and what version of Java are you using?

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> I am deploying an application using glassfish application server.
> when i launch the client using java web start on localhost, it works perfectly.
>
> But when i try to launch the client from some other computer on the internet, the download of the application never finshes.
>
> The download starts and restarts several times but never finshes. It stalls after some time ( atleast it looks like it has stalled)

Do you see the download image and progress bar that Java Web Start
displays? And does the bar never show any progress?

When you say it restarts, does it restart on its own? I have not seen
that behavior before. There are several different JARs that must be
downloaded so you might be seeing progress on several different files
one after another.

Once the download completes the app client container (ACC) will start
automatically. Depending on your particular client, the ACC might need
to contact the ORB on the server. It could be that the download
actually finished but there is a delay or a failure in this initial contact.

I suggest you either turn on the Java console so it is displayed when
you start a Java Web Start app or turn on tracing so you get a trace
file that records any errors or other messages. There are some
instructions here

http://blogs.sun.com/quinn/entry/launch_that_app_client

that can help you turn those on. That will help us know how far along
the launch gets.

Please let us know what you find.

- Tim