users@glassfish.java.net

Disappointed in co-opting of Glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 13:27:29 PST

So, I saw the Glassfish Portfolio announcement.

It's clear that this is a branding exercise of Suns open-source web/middleware infrastructure. Like the Sun Java Application/Identity/Mail/Web Servers, etc.

I'm just disappointed that they're using the Glassfish name.

The community knows Glassfish as the JEE server, and we have a long history of data and posts regarding it here, and across the net in forum posts and blogs.

But now, "Glassfish" means all sorts of different things.

If some poor soul ends up here looking for some advice on problems with the Glassfish Web server, what then? Even if we direct them to the web-tier forum, is Jan or Jean-Francois going to be able offer any of their solid advice? Likely not as the Glassfish Web Server is an intergrated Apache LAMP stack and has nothing to do with "Glassfish". Nothing whatsoever! It's not even Java!

I think there should be pride and kudos to the acceptance and wide awareness of the name Glassfish, and what it meant. But now I just see a bunch of confusion.

Are they going to rename the App server now to something else?

There's a lot of GOOGLE power to being able to use Glassfish when looking for information on the web, but this change will, long term, really dilute its usefulness.

I think as a whole it's been wise that the subprojects have had their own names (OpenESB, Metro, Jersey, OpenSSO, etc), notably for their "google-fu" power.

But Googleing "Glassifsh Application Server" is going to give you half the java internet, and won't be real relevant.

Too late now, I guess. But that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed with the decision.
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]