users@glassfish.java.net

Slow performance on return from call to remote EJB from appclient (was Re: Slow performance with 'appclient')

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 09:13:40 -0600

tjhannon,

I've changed the title in hopes of catching the attention of some other
people also.

The app client container itself is not directly involved in message
exchanges with remote EJBs. Except for some clean-up work when the VM
exits, the app client container's work is done by the time your client
logic gains control.

One thing you might try is to turn on FINE-level logging in the app
client. In GlassFish v2 the logging control in app clients is rather
coarse so this might generate a lot of output, but it might also offer
some clues about where the time is going.

Make a copy of the sun-acc.xml file that is generated for you in
$domain-directory/config/. Edit the copy to change the log-service
element's 'level' attribute value to FINE. When you launch your app
client add the option

-xml <path-to-edited-sun-acc.xml>

to the appclient command.

Also, have you tried using a network sniffing tool (some people seem to
find wireshark useful) so you know exactly when the return message arrives?

- Tim