users@glassfish.java.net

Re: FW: Vista, Jee5, sql2000 &sql2005

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 15:55:58 -0500

The .jar does not come with GlassFish, you have to download it manually.

I do not recommend using Microsoft's JDBC driver. When we use it in
production to communicate with a remote SQL Server 2005 EE, at least
once per week there is a problem trying to connect to the database. The
Microsoft driver blocks the thread that is asking for a connection
indefinitely. Looking at the FINE/FINER logs, it shows "TDS prelogin
response error". Once this happens 5 times then the HTTP Listener for
your web application can no longer respond to web requests and it looks
like GlassFish is locked up. This happens even when you set the
loginTimeout property. We tested the latest 1.2 version of the driver.

We use the open source jTDS driver instead. It doesn't have this
problem and works well.

Ryan