users@glassfish.java.net

Re: asadmin command to rotate the logs?

From: Jon Faldmo <jfaldmo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:45:52 -0700

In the Admin Console you can select an instance from the navigation tree.
The General Information is shown and a row of buttons is displayed. One of
those buttons is a "Rotate Log" button. When you press it the instance logs
get rotated, i.e. the server.log file is renamed to server.log.<timestamp>
and an empty server.log is created and logging continues in a "fresh" log.

Is there a way to rotate the instance logs without going through the Admin
Console?

A second question is I've noticed the log only get rotate if the instance is
running. If it is stopped and I hit that button the log does not get
rotated. I have to manaully rename (mv) the log before starting the
instance. Is this how it is supposed to work?