users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Please review and comment on the GlassFish v3 deployment one-pager

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:42:09 PST

These are my comments for http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=Gfv3DeploymentOnePager&version=4, which appears to be the most recent version of the wiki page.

I am a bit confused by this page... It appears to be talking about things that were 'done' in the GlassFish v3 Prelude release.

If you are making changes to the interfaces, you may want to focus this document on those particular changes or extensions.

 It also seems like a large portion of the discussion is about things that I would expect to find in other one-pagers... like a one-pager for the web container, etc.

Specific comments

Section 4.1 : Extensibility i/fs

What are the things that are changing in this release compared to the stuff that is documented in http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-6583/ghmon?a=view?

Since these interfaces exist, could you link to the javadoc?

Section 4.1 : Application Management

The proposed commands....

As best I can tell, none of the commands follow the 'standard form' for asadmin command; they don't have an operand. I guess the most logical operand would be the name.

Can an administrator configure an env-entry or context-param that is in a web app that is part of an enterprise application?

The inclusion of the string '-web-' seems unnecessary. If an app doesn't support env-entry or context-param, a '*-config' command would be able to fail.

I also have to disagree with the command design decisions expressed in the last two paragraphs of this section... since there is help at the asadmin subcommand level, including 'completion', overloading a command, to keep the command set small may not be as critical.

vbk
[Message sent by forum member 'vbkraemer' (vbkraemer)]