users@glassfish.java.net

[ANN] New Comet Framework: Atmosphere and the future of Grizzly Comet.

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 14:22:49 -0500

Hi,

We are currently starting a new project called Atmosphere
(atmosphere.dev.java.net). The aim of the project is to write a Comet
based framework that not only works on top of Grizzly, but on all
WebContainer or Framework (like MINA/Netty). The idea here is to be able
to write a Comet based application and deploy it everywhere, on server
supporting Comet (like Tomcat 6, Jetty 6, GlassFish v2/3) and server
that doesn't (like Tomcat 5).

The upcoming Servlet 3.0 specs will brings simple API for
suspending/resuming requests but it will takes sometimes before all
container/company/isp switch to EE 6.

Not only for that reason, but Comet is much more than being able to
suspend/resume a response: efficient pushing techniques, way to
aggregate/filters/transform messages before they get pushed back,
clustering architecture, etc. So it is time to enter the Atmosphere :-)

What will happens to Grizzly Comet Framework? No plan changes, we will
continue doing improvements (like in the upcoming Grizzly 1.9.4 release,
which will be included in GlassFish v3 soon) but instead, Grizzly Comet
concepts will starts appearing in Tomcat/Jetty/WebSphere/Resin etc.).

If you are interested to get involved, just subscribe to
dev_at_atmosphere.dev.java.net and share your ideas :-). More information
on the project can be found [1][2].

A+

-- Jeanfrancois

[1]