users@glassfish.java.net

Performance T1000 vs Intel

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 06:48:20 PST

So I got my T1000 (Cool threads) in and I was all giddy! Especially that we are an all MS shop with Intel.

How I got to this point... We have a "web service" (XML over HTTP POST) running as an ISAPI DLL on IIS. As a customer requirement we have to create a WS* version. So I suggested we use Metro and Glassfish.

ISAPI DLL: Accept HTTP POST XML, reply XML "Hello World!"
Metro/Glassfish: Accept SOAP, reply SOAP "Hello World!"

The numbers where astonishing:
ISAPI DLL on 4 core 2.x GHz Intel IIS 6: 1000 requests a second.
Metro/Glassfish: 4 core 2.x Ghz Intel: 3000 requests a second.

Apparently MS claims that IIS 7 is 70% faster, but that still doesn't come close to Glassfish. Which then prompted us to see if we can get even more using a Sparc and SUN technology.

So here we are now...
T1000 Sparc, 1.0 Ghz, 6 core, 8 Gigs RAM, Solaris 10 11/06 stock except installed JDK 1.6_11 and App Server 9.1
Intel 2.x Ghz, 4 Core, 1 Gig RAM, Windows 2003 latest patches, JDK 1.6_10, Glassfish 2ur2

Both boxes configured as per Scot Oaks blog: http://weblogs.java.net/blog/sdo/archive/2007/12/a_glassfish_tun.html

Now on each machine I'm getting 3000 requests per second. Do you guys think that the T1000 can do better and what can I do to get the most out this box?
[Message sent by forum member 'infectedrhythms' (infectedrhythms)]