users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Newbie: Should I run Glassfish when Tomcat is enough?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:21:29 PST

> - Ability to restart webapp without restarting entire
> container. Right now this isn't possible to a whole
> host of memory leak problems, some in Glassfish v3,
> some in Google Guice.

Barring a bug on the containter part, those problems are usually caused by a host of libraries that were not properly thought out to be used in a web environment. There are way too many popular libraries that produce memory retention problems, or leaks, when stored at the WEB-INF/lib level. Not saying it's never GlassFish's fault, but I've seen it happen with all the servlet containers that I've used.

As it is difficult to stop using all those libraries or get all the authors to fix them, I empahised the other direction and I focused on developing without restarting the context. It's not always possible but... it helps.

Having said that, I'm not a Glassfish user, so it might be all GF's fault ;), I don't think so though.
S!
[Message sent by forum member 'greeneyed' (greeneyed)]