users@glassfish.java.net

Re: HTTP Load Balancers Concept- Sun One App Server 9.1

From: Kshitiz Saxena <Kshitiz.Saxena_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 17:34:12 +0530

Hi Qumar,

Cluster name provided in load-balancer xml is only used for creating
cluster view in load-balancer plugin. They need not be physically
present, i.e., cluster with that name may not exist. So for standalone
instances, you can use cluster name as
standalone-instance-<instance-name>. Each standalone-instance must be in
different cluster.

Load-balancer functionality does not change with multiple clusters.
There are some points to keep in mind
1. Clusters can be heterogeneous, i.e., different clusters can have
different set of applications
2. If two or more cluster have same application, then new(non-sticky)
requests for that application will be distributed across instances in
all of those clusters.
3. Fail-over of session is restricted to cluster boundary. Hence
load-balancer restrict fail-over within cluster boundary. It will
fail-over requests to another cluster, if and only if, there are no
healthy instances in cluster. However in such a case, session will be lost.

Thanks,
Kshitiz