users@glassfish.java.net

Message beans and connection limit

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:00:19 PST

Hi, i have a Message bean set up which in the connection factory has the maximum pool size to be 14. I also have a JDBC pool which is set up with a maximum of 32 connections. The message bean accepts messages and writes the information to a database, which all works fine generally...

However overnight a batch process locks the table that is being written to by the message beans, they therefore stall until this completes. My problem comes in that all my 32 db connections get allocated by message beans trying to update the db, i would have expected only 14 to be taken this way. Have i misunderstood something or is this a bug?

Is it likely that the message beans are timing out and leaving the db connection dangling and on the next message asking for a new one - i don't get any errors or exceptions from them.

This causes problems as all my other apps which use this server get refused db connections until the batch jobs have finished...

Any ideas or suggestions - i'm using version 9.1_02 (build b04-fcs) if that helps...
[Message sent by forum member 'jsl123' (jsl123)]