users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Load Balancer .. Unexpected Behaviour, Is it a BUG ?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 20:44:54 PST

HI kshitiz

When an application fails to respond it is not necessary that it is undeployed. There may be other internal reasons as well.
Undeploying application is always planned but what about plan failures when the application is deployed and is unable to respond doe to any sub tier failure or any other reason.
Q1:
How does lb/HA in Sun app Server take care of unplanned breakdowns at application level.
Is there a way one can configure Sun Apps' lb to react on the basis of response code it recieves from application level or an instance.
For ex if an instance send 404 Bad gateway then lb should ideally send that request to the second instance.

Q2
In the current even if the lb judges a bad instance because of stopped node agent/instance or undeployed application it does not resend the failed requests to the second instance, the always get 404 Bad-Gateway, Ideally these requests should be resent to instance/application by lb. I personally feel that SunApps lb is not competitive enough to manage even these simple scenarios. Would like to kno w your stand on it. If yes, is development underway to enhance its functionality ?

Q3 How can I upgrade my lb to support the features of 9.1 by adding patch/code to existing 8.2 version ?

Many Thanks
Anzy
[Message sent by forum member 'anzy' (anzy)]