users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Setting a Certificate Revocation List

From: V B Kumar Jayanti <Vbkumar.Jayanti_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:04:24 +0530

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

>Thanks for the clarity. Basicly what you tell me is, in order to make checking a CRL is to make sure the certificates include an CRLDistributionPoints extention and if I put in that location the crl file so it can be downloaded it works.
>
>Well I can live with that so I gonna try it. Using a file is not that good anyway. Just one question, is the CRL cached or retrieved each time a certificate is checked?

As you know CRL caching is not a good idea as much as a static crlFile.
The runtime would then need to deal with making sure it periodically
updates its CRL, but i guess that would also not be a fool proof IMO.
I am actually not aware how JSSE handles it. You may want to pose a
question on this in the Java SE forums. You may want to consider using
OCSP otherwise.

regards,
kumar