users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Server stops responding due to Glassfish

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:03:22 -0500

I'll give it a try. By default GlassFish provides only 5 threads for
processing all web requests. Jeanfrancois says they've done a lot of
performance testing and because of the way GlassFish works, that is plenty.

When all 5 threads are blocked waiting for the application to do
something and provide a response, new requests coming in are queued up
for the next available thread (instead of displaying an error message
like in Tomcat). In my case, the application was trying to establish a
connection to the database and for whatever reason the JDBC driver would
get stuck. After 4 more requests come in that also try to use a
database, all 5 threads would become locked and the http listener became
useless. Changing the JDBC driver fixed the problem for me.

Other people with this problem have said that they don't use a
database. Something in the application is causing the worker thread to
block and that is what you have to figure out.

Some people said that Tomcat never gave them this problem. That's
probably because tomcat has 100 worker threads by default and you can
cause a lot more threads to block before Tomcat displays an error
message (instead of being queued for the next available worker like in
GlassFish). Eventually threads become unblocked somehow and they never
saw all 100 threads become blocked.

Ryan