users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How can web sessions leak?

From: Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 22:21:24 +0000

Just a thought,

but does your app have any background threads?

background threads are bad m-kay because they might be holding a reference
to your session and preventing it from being GC'd.... which is one of the
reasons why you are not supposed to start Threads in a JavaEE
application.... of course everyone does it ;-)

So, I guess, a good IDE could let you search for any useage of Thread or
Runnable....

Things get more messy as the great java.util.concurrency classes get more
widespread usage...

Anywho, the use of Threads, per se, is not bad.... provided you keep hold of
the context that the thread belongs to, and providing you expire and expunge
objects when that context becomes invalidated.

-Stephen