users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Sticky load balacing of http/https calls?

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik_at_hellooperator.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:34:07 +0000

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:48 PM, <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org> wrote:
> I have a hi traffic web application. Lots and lots of very short servlet calls (with ejb3 back-end). The processing is quite short but there are really many connections. The connections a mixed [b]http and https[/b].
>
> I want to have NON-clustered glassfish servers but i want sticky load balancing.
>
> /servletX?serv=1&sessionId=x1234&otherParam1=a
>
> The connection with parameter "serv=1" should always [b]stick to the same instance[/b], and i want to select the instance in the configuration.
>
> Is there a solution to achieve these goals, how many connections a second could be handled by such a thing?

You might as well cluster; Glassfish clusters are active-active
anyway, so that will scale easily,
and you'll get resilience for free.

If all you need is sticky sessions, I believe mod_proxy_balancer can
do that (part of apache 2.2):

see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html

Might it be an idea to keep http and https session for the same client
on the same backend?
I don't know if apache is up to that or not, we use NetScalers here
and they are able to 'group'
services like that (but they cost a fortune).