users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Why Glassfish?

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 22:35:15 -0400

We used to use JBoss 4 and switched to GlassFish V2 just over a year
ago. The most obvious difference is administration. Whenever I needed
to learn something new in JBoss I had to search google, scour blogs, and
piece together bits of information to build new XML or plain text
files. In GlassFish you never have to see XML or plain text files.
There is a web based admin console that you can browse around and
discover things you didn't know GlassFish could do. When you get used
to the web admin console and know what you're doing with it then you can
start looking at the command line tool called asadmin. Everything you
can do in the web admin has command line equivalents. I've had to use
it several times to script administrative tasks. For me, administering
GlassFish is much more pleasant than JBoss.

I also used to have problems with JBoss on Windows 2003 Server.
Whenever we'd reboot Windows, for some reason ports that JBoss wants to
use were taken temporarily because some parts of it would fail to start,
which caused cascading failures and huge stack dumps in the logs. The
solution was to restart the JBoss windows service after Windows finished
booting. I don't know if it still has that problem or not?

We've also had a problem with GlassFish on Windows, but we later
discovered that it is a known bug in Windows 2003's TCP/IP stack that
affects any Java application using NIO asynchronous sockets. You run on
Red Hat, so that won't be a problem.

Another thing I like about GlassFish is that it gets the new Java EE
features first. You can already tinker with some Java EE6 features in
GlassFish V3.

We don't cluster, and have only one application installed on it so I
can't comment on your other criteria.

I like what JBoss is doing with Seam, WebBeans, JPA, EJB 3.x, RichFaces,
etc. I'm glad they are around and I may target their AS in personal
projects but for work I choose GlassFish.

Ryan