users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Upgrading from Sun Java Application Server 8.2 Enterprise

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:39:33 PDT

Thanks for the info!

I was a bit new to setting up a highly available web service when we originally set this system up, and not too much better now either ;), so we had help from an outside source on the best way to do it with the limited hardware that we had. Ideally, how do highly reliable systems set this kind of thing up such that they can upgrade the software without downtime to the users and at the same time, still support session fail over?

It kind of seems like there are two options. Option one is two individual servers running behind a load balancing router that you can upgrade the software one server at a time. However, this comes without session fail over I believe. Option 2 is a clustered appserver pair running behind a load balancing router that you have to upgrade software simultaneously thereby creating down time, but you get session fail over with this option. Is this correct?

Other question, can GF be configured to use Oracle for HADB or do you have to use the HADB database? We have an Oracle RAC database behind the entire thing and would prefer to use it if possible.
[Message sent by forum member 'markb80021' (markb80021)]