users@glassfish.java.net

Upgrading from Sun Java Application Server 8.2 Enterprise

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 09:16:34 PDT

Hello,

We are looking at upgrading to Glassfish from Sun Java Application Server 8.2 Enterprise Edition. Our current configuration is 2 Sun servers running Solaris 10 X86. These servers are clustered using Sun Cluster for a virtual IP address and Sun Web Server failover. The Sun Web Server is running with the load balancing plugin to balance between which appserver processes the requests on these boxes. We started off with HADB but had drop it out of the configuration because of too many bugs, basically it dropped the availability of the configuration to less than just running one server with a stand alone appserver.

The issues we are hoping to address with upgrading our current configuration are these...

Our customer wants us to be able to hot deploy. Currently, in order to deploy an application in our current config., the users are logged out temporarily while the application is being redeployed. This is due to the clustered appservers. I've read many articles about using load balancing routers with a farm of app servers behind it which you can disable individually and redeploy and then re enable and move on to the next. This does not seem like it would work well with glassfish W/HADB as you have to clustered appservers. What kind of options do we have here?

Our customer also wants session persistence back. Is the version of HADB in Glassfish all new or is it the same, but newer, version of HADB found in Sun's 8.2 Enterprise appserver? Can it hook up to Oracle instead of it's own proprietary database?

We want to get rid of Sun Cluster and use a load balancing router. This would also eliminate the need for the load balancer in Sun Web Server, thus eliminating the need for Sun Web Server as well, as that is all we are using it for. In the end this would be a much simpler design, load balancing performed by the router, two appservers serving out the application(hopefully with session persistence and hot deploy). Is this best way to do this? We're open to suggestions as to a better way to do it.

Thanks,
[Message sent by forum member 'markb80021' (markb80021)]