users@glassfish.java.net

jdbc resource type

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:56:44 PDT

I am using Oracle, and when configuring the connection pool I have the following source type options:
javax.sql.DataSource
javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource

I have skimmed through GlassFish's jdbc sources, and I understand that the server implements its own connection pooling and does not use the jdbc driver's pooling (i.e. oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource).

So what is the purpose of choosing javax.sql.ConnectionPoolDataSource as a source type? The administration guide states that there are possible performance improvements.
Why is that?
[Message sent by forum member 'danydyn' (danydyn)]