users@glassfish.java.net

RE: TCP to HTTP % HTTP to TCP convertion

From: Alex Sherwin <alex.sherwin_at_acadiasoft.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:37:27 -0400

TCP is a transport protocol, HTTP uses TCP. HTTP is an application layer built on top of a transport protocol (almost always TCP)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

Specifically:

The last field is not a part of the header. The contents of this field are whatever the upper layer protocol wants but this protocol is not set in the header and is presumed based on the port selection.
Data (Variable bits): As you might expect, this is the payload, or data portion of a TCP packet. The payload may be any number of application layer protocols. The most common are HTTP, Telnet, SSH, FTP, but other popular protocols also use TCP.

Alex Sherwin
alex.sherwin_at_acadiasoft.com