users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Monitor Application

From: Ludovic Champenois <Ludovic.Champenois_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:55:50 -0700

Pete Ehlke wrote:
> Um... really?
>
> I've got an SOA-based application infrastructure running 4
> applications on 5 glassfish domains, 15 clusters, and 30 server
> instances. You're actually suggesting that *netbeans* is the right
> tool to use to monitor it for performance and availability?
Ho, now we talk...Lack of requirements in generic emails tend to give
generic answers.
So you seem to have developed a very complex SOA application so far, and
I am very impressed. It would be nice if you can share more your
experience so far.
Did you use vi, javac, jar and cp to reach this state? I guess not.
I sent some pointers about the java profiler I know in NetBeans as well
as the SOA tools I know, based on a very limited information I recieved
in the mail.

Performance monitoring for distributed java applications can be very
complex, and I guess a mix of java profiling tools, debugger tools (via
netbeans that can connect locally or remotely to any running JVM), app
server monitoring capabilities (glassfish), SOA runtime instrumentation
(need to investigate this area, but I hope it can be instrumented, A
traceable operating systems like Solaris and OpenSolaris with Dtrace
capabilities all the way from kernel, java vm, network stack, database
(MySQL Dtrace Probes), JavaScript Dtrace probes (in instrumented
firefox), etc, etc can help.

But this is a *very* complex set of tasks that require a very skilled team.
Support and Services offered by Sun or other companies can help as well.

Ludo