users@glassfish.java.net

Re: EJB Timer Service not available

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 14:23:12 PDT

Thanks for the quick response. I have gone through the v9.1 installation guide and the Edition 9 administration guide. The installation guide has nothing on the timer service. The administration guide only refers to the EJB container settings and the external data source setup which I have done. My failure is on the starting the timer. The servlet calls a stateless session bean which starts up the stateless session timer bean. The timer bean can't be instantiated because the timer service is not available. I guess my big assumption here is that this stand alone instance is in fact using the Timer Service on the admin server and using its own datasource as that is how I set it up. Is this correct or do I have to install a Timer Service on the stand alone instance? If so I can find no documentation on this. I really don't want to deploy this to the cluster because I don't want 3 timers going off for the same timer bean. I also do not want to deploy this on the admin server, and the powers to be won't let me.
Here are the server logs on startup of the stand alone instance:
[#|2008-09-04T15:44:32.185-0500|WARNING|sun-appserver9.1|javax.enterprise.system.container.ejb|_ThreadID=13;_ThreadName=pool-1-thread-4;TimerBean;_RequestID=ada3ccbc-6590-4218-afb7-60a89c464d63;|EJB5108:Unable to initialize EJB Timer Service. The likely cause is the database has not been started or the timer database table has not been created.|#]

If this is the admin server timer database, what is the connection information? I assume it is because this standalone instance is using an oracle database and I created the timer table and its all started and up.

[#|2008-09-04T15:44:32.189-0500|INFO|sun-appserver9.1|javax.enterprise.system.core.classloading|_ThreadID=13;_ThreadName=pool-1-thread-4;__ejb_container_timer_app;|LDR5010: All ejb(s) of [__ejb_container_timer_app] loaded successfully!|#]

I assume this is also the admin server saying the timer service is available.

My deployment exception:

javax.ejb.CreateException: Could not create stateless EJB
        com.vzb.mecca.art.degrow.__DegrowSessionRemote_Remote_DynamicStub.startTimer(com/vzb/mecca/art/degrow/__DegrowSessionRemote_Remote_DynamicStub.java)
Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: No object bound for java:comp/env/com.vzb.mecca.art.degrow.DegrowSessionBean/timerService [Root exception is java.lang.IllegalStateException: [b]EJB Timer Service not available][/b]
[Message sent by forum member 'cobar' (cobar)]