users@glassfish.java.net

Re: How to switch glassfish l11n language?

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2008 16:40:11 +0200

Folks;

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org schrieb:
[...]
> english:
> use netbeans:
> Servers > Flassfish V2 > JVMs
> edit property JVMOptions; add entry :
> -Duser.language=en
>
> restart glasfish server and login again with admin console. It is english now ):>

While we're at it: I installed gfv2u2-ml in one of our testbed systems a
while ago and found that the administration console as well as the log
output is pretty much translated to de_DE which does help here indeed -
good. However just some moments ago, while in the German administration
console, I tried to set log levels for some arbitrary packages and noted
that, along with the user interface, the log level names also have been
subject to translation, i.e.

FINEST -> SEHR GENAU
FINER -> GENAUER
[...]
WARNING -> WARNUNG
SEVERE -> SCHWERWIEGEND

... which is fine for the pre-defined loggers where to simply select the log
level using the drop-down boxes. But what about adding custom loggers for
custom packages? Entering log level "SEHR GENAU" for a custom package is
likely to end up in an exception... So overally, even though most of the UI
is localized, _setting_ the log levels using the German names doesn't work,
so I end up having "German" log levels displayed in the upper part of the
admin UI for the pre-defined loggers and "English" log levels in the lower
part of the UI for custom loggers.

This seems pointless, to be honest. Does it have to be this way? Wouldn't a
concise solution of either not translating log levels or consequently
translating them be of more help here?

Cheers,
Kristian

--