users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish V3: OSGi, HK2 and JSR 277

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 13:00:43 -0400

I haven't put much thought into a design yet, but I'll give you a
general idea. JIRA can be thought of a base platform with plugin
infrastructure, and the system is composed of a bunch of plugins.
Confluence has plugins. Hudson has plugins. I want to create a web
application that has a few basic things like authorization and
authentication, a plugin system, plugin manager, etc. then build the
rest of the application as plugin modules.

I'm currently reading a book called Practical API Design (by the
original creator of NetBeans) and it talks about how the NetBeans module
system is created. The concepts seem similar to OSGi, and I would
prefer to embed an OSGi container than write my own lookup/injection
etc. I've only done some preliminary reading and listened to some
podcasts. I don't know that much about OSGi yet.

Other web developers have traditionally based their plugin system's UI
support on things like velocity, or WebWork/Struts2 "plugin" feature.
Later I want to study GlassFish V3 and figure out how they did it with
JSFTemplating, HK2 and OSGi.

See this thread for an earlier discussion:

http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5261696&messageID=10107837

Thanks,
Ryan