users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Clustering: Why 2 instances on 1 machine?

From: Dick Davies <rasputnik_at_hellooperator.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 21:02:59 +0100

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM, <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've read [url=http://developers.sun.com/appserver/reference/techart/glassfishcluster/]this[/url] paper about clustering in GlassFish and in Figure 4 you can see, that there are on each machine two instances. Which sense does this make? Is it recommended to have more than one instance on each (physical) machine? Increases this the availability of my cluster? Or should I have just one instance per machine?

It's occasionally a good idea to split one big instance into 2 to
avoid outages when the JVM pauses for garbage collection. I guess that
depends on how much memory you're using (the more heap, the longer a
full GC takes) and whether you need high availability.

--
Rasputnik :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
http://number9.hellooperator.net/