users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Clustering: Why 2 instances on 1 machine?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:28:21 PDT

Hi,
thanks for your reply. There had been exactly this question, why it's advise to have two instances (or more) on realy big machines.

Is the pauses for garbage collection the only argument for having two or more instances on one machine?

>where using only a single cluster instance per physical machine would waste resources
Why? Just because of garbage collection? Or is one instance (or JVM) restricted or why isn't it possible that one instance take all the resources of a big machine (e.g. 16 GB ram, 8 cores)?

Such an instance is not restricted to a maximum of threads, isn't it? So why should I use two instances and not letting do one instance the double work?

It would be nice if someone can help me to find arguments, why it's advisable to have 2 (or more) instances on big servers or is the garbage collection the only reason (and another one that it takes longer for garbahe collection to clean up big ammounts of memory)?.

Greetings
Hannes
[Message sent by forum member 'hannes2k' (hannes2k)]