users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request feedback on GlassFish v3 Prelude deployment one pager

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:31:02 PDT

> 1) Please clarify the proposed configuration changes
> to domain.xml.
> 2) Administration Infrastructure spec does not cover
> the changes for AMX
> (or CLI). Please specify the proposed new AMX
> interfaces.

Re: 1) and 2). The admin team and deployment team are still discussing to finalize the configuration/AMX changes for this. The final descision will be updated in the one-pager by July 28th.

> 3) Will there be an api that will inform clients
> (GUI, CLI) that certain
> changes requires application to be restarted or
> redeployed? An example
> usage would be great.
> 4) Section 4.1 suggests that we may need
> re-deployment of applications.
> Are we planning to support edit of deployment
> descriptors also? If it is
> only domain.xml configuration, why would you need to
> redeploy?

Re: 3) and 4). For the v3.preclude release, the editable enty for user will only be env-entry (and possibly context-param) to match with Tomcat functionality. For these, we uses the domain.xml mechansim and the application will only need to be restarted.

When we support more entries (and possibly the whole deployment descriptor entry set) in the next release, we might use a different approach (deployment plan) where we would always redeploy the application to simplify things. We will have to explore more on this.
[Message sent by forum member 'hzhang_jn' (hzhang_jn)]