users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request For Comments - Embeddable GlassFish Functional Specifications

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:11:48 PDT

There are many questions here, thanks for taking the time to scrutinize the spec.

---------------------------------

1) Deployed Applications: It is not clear how deployed applications are
expected to behave. For example,

* Is it always exploded in a temp dir?
**** Yes. Web archive files are always exploded into a temporary directory

* Does the server forget about the deployed apps after a re-start?
**** The server forgets about everything, including deployed apps, after a restart

Is it possible to tell the server a list of pre-deployed apps and
resources? (see comment bellow about domain.xml url)
**** Prelude: no. Final: yes

* Is it possible to deploy a exploded app (dir)? Perhaps using the
ScatteredWar APIs? Will there be support for ScatteredEar later?
**** Even better there is a ScatteredWar implementation available and working - it is **** part of the Embeddable GlassFish API.
**** ScatteredWar is fully supported in Prelude.
**** Directory deployment is fully supported in Prelude.

2) Resources: Is it possible to create a JDBC resource and connection
pool? How do I do that?
**** You can do it, but it is very messy. It requires low-level XML processing and an intimate knowledge of the structure of domain.xml
**** A simple way to do this might be available in Prelude and will definitely be provided **** in the Final Release.

3) Application Classloader: How is application classloader constructed?
What will be in its path?
**** This is rather low-level. You can see the exact procedure in org.glassfish.embed.GlassFish.deploy(ReadableArchive)

4) Section 4.4 - Out of Scope : How about maven support?
- maven distribution for web tier
- maven distribution for EJB

**** I don't understand. Please elaborate.

5) Section 4.6 - Doc Impact : Please clarify that we will have to
document the APIs and example usage.

6) Section 4.7 - Admin/Config Impact: Will there be support to provide
an URL to the domain.xml so that users can customize the domain.xml?
**** No. Not planned for Prelude.

7) Section 4.9 - I18N/L10N: Please specify if it will be possible to
translate the message properties for embeddable GlassFish.
**** Why not? Maybe I'm missing something here????

8) Section 4.10 - Distribution - It was not clear in the spec how
embeddable GlassFish jars will be distributed and what are their names.
Could you please clarify that? The picture in the spec seems to suggest
we will have an embeddable api jar plus the container jars.

**** for a non-maven developer they will need one and only one jar, currently named gf-embedded-api-1.0-alpha-5-SNAPSHOT-with-full-v3.jar
**** A maven developer will use the API jar, currently named gf-embedded-api-1.0-alpha-5-SNAPSHOT.jar, and add in the GlassFish core modules in the maven way.
**** I don't know the details of how the files will be distributed at this time. It is an implementation detail that will be solved before release.

9) Size of the jars: What are the expected size of the jars?
**** API jar: 30,354
**** API + entire GF: 21,884,800

10) Do we need more configuration support? Will there be a need to
configure log levels, etc.?
**** Yes -- for the final release
[Message sent by forum member 'bnevins' (bnevins)]