users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Request For Comments - Embeddable GlassFish Functional Specifications

From: Nazrul Islam <Nazrul.Islam_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 16:40:11 -0700

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> The [i]initial [/i]draft of the functional specifications for Embeddable GlassFish for V3 Prelude is now available.
>
> http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GFV3EmbeddableOnePager

Thanks for putting this together. Looks good. Here are some comments....

0) Usage Examples: It would help if you provide some usage examples in
the spec to set the tone about how the embeddable APIs are expected to
be used.

1) Deployed Applications: It is not clear how deployed applications are
expected to behave. For example,

    * Is it always exploded in a temp dir?
    * Does the server forget about the deployed apps after a re-start?
      Is it possible to tell the server a list of pre-deployed apps and
      resources? (see comment bellow about domain.xml url)
    * Is it possible to deploy a exploded app (dir)? Perhaps using the
      ScatteredWar APIs? Will there be support for ScatteredEar later?

2) Resources: Is it possible to create a JDBC resource and connection
pool? How do I do that?

3) Application Classloader: How is application classloader constructed?
What will be in its path?

4) Section 4.4 - Out of Scope : How about maven support?
 - maven distribution for web tier
 - maven distribution for EJB

5) Section 4.6 - Doc Impact : Please clarify that we will have to
document the APIs and example usage.

6) Section 4.7 - Admin/Config Impact: Will there be support to provide
an URL to the domain.xml so that users can customize the domain.xml?

7) Section 4.9 - I18N/L10N: Please specify if it will be possible to
translate the message properties for embeddable GlassFish.

8) Section 4.10 - Distribution - It was not clear in the spec how
embeddable GlassFish jars will be distributed and what are their names.
Could you please clarify that? The picture in the spec seems to suggest
we will have an embeddable api jar plus the container jars.

9) Size of the jars: What are the expected size of the jars?

10) Do we need more configuration support? Will there be a need to
configure log levels, etc.?

--
Nazrul Islam  -  (408) 276-6468  - Sun Microsystems, Inc.