users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Request feedback on GlassFish V3 Admin Console one pager1

From: Alex Sherwin <alex.sherwin_at_acadiasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:37:56 -0400

I would have to agree.

If you make the "mainstream" method of installing the admin console through the update center via the internet, then it is likely that an alternative method for installing the console will have less thought and care put into it (in all likely hood, a secondary manual/offline installation procedure probably wouldn’t get the same amount of attention and be more difficult to use).

It's great that this modular approach is being used to try and dramatically improve the all around speed, but I would think the only real viable solution to the basic issues of configuration is to provide multiple distributions of GF V3 with different modules pre-installed.

For Example:

Lite (no modules)
Lite Admin (only admin console module)

Etc.

Obviously, you don’t want to have 20 editions of app server to download/install. Another thought might be to have the Lite installer with no modules, and an installer package that contains additional modules and has the ability to let the user installing the app server choose which modules are installed.

Alex Sherwin
alex.sherwin_at_acadiasoft.com