users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Re: JPA: speed vs JDBC

From: Markus Karg <karg_at_quipsy.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:25:30 +0200

Hammoud,

as soon as LAN comes into play (which is typical in enterprise computing) the performance difference inside of Java VM is by far not your biggiest problem, since LAN is many times slower than you CPU and RAM. That's why I said, architecture and design are the major performance influences, while the actual O/R technology is not. So the actual performance benefit in a real world scenario doesn't come from intrinsic JPA or JDBC benefits, but from the implied architectural or design targets (JPA: client cache, JDBC: server cache). You can find an architecture or scenario that fits pretty well on each of these technologies to proof that it is of higher performance than the other one. So none of these technologies is superior to the other. It solely depends on the use case. That's why I said in the beginning, it is comparin apples and bananas. ;-)

Have Fun
Markus