users@glassfish.java.net

Re: _at_PreDestroy method in web service not called when web app undeployed?

From: Stephen Connolly <stephen.alan.connolly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 08:42:08 +0100

Nope I saying that if you want to know about your application being
deployed and undeployed or the container within which your application
is deployed being stopped and started you need to have a WAR.

A ServletContextListener is notified whenever the container deploys
(which also includes starts) and undeploys (which also includes stops)
the WAR within which the ServletContextListener is contained.

You then have that listener call your Stateless session bean or web
services that is in the EJB jar or whatever you have to say:

"Oy! we is starting" or "Oy! we is stopping"

Bung the whole lot in an EAR so that the start and stop do not run
into sequencing issues.

There are other ways of getting the start and stop events, but for
JavaEE version 5, this is the only _standards compliant_ way that I
know of.