users@glassfish.java.net

Application Server Noob setup

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 12:14:25 PDT

Dear All,

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong location. I am new to forums.java.net.

I recently graduated in computer science and I'm trying to learn Java EE stuff so I can be a web developer. I used Java SDK for my undergrad and I learned a ton but it taught me little in terms of directly applicable skills. So here I am trying to go thru the JDBC tutorial to learn how to use a database. I got to this page and got totally stuck trying to make a db called COFFEEBREAK.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/jdbc/basics/settingup.html

I downloaded Sun Java System Application Server 9.1_01. Included with it was Java DB so I decided to use this for the JDBC tutorial. I was trying to use the Admin console to create a DB and its asking me for a resource. Then the resource asks me for a pool name. While trying to create a connection pool, it asks me for a resource type (javax.sql.DataSource, javax.sql.XADataSource,...) to which I got stuck.

So I searched around and I am having trouble figuring out how to create a new db in Java Application Server and basically found nothing very helpful that I could follow. I found ways to turn on the db in the command line, run included scripts, and migrate from older db versions. Is my google-fu too weak sauce?

So my question is, how do I create the db called COFFEEBREAK that I need to keep going in the tutorial? I've used MS SQL Server 2000 and 2005 and its really easy, once you connect in the query analyzer you just right click and pick make new db. Is there a simple equivalent in Application Server?
[Message sent by forum member 'mrchibai' (mrchibai)]