users@glassfish.java.net

capturing redeployment downtime -- cluster?

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 11:56:52 +0200

Folks;

currently experiencing the (obvious) situation that, as soon as a webapp
gets (re)deployed to the server, it is not available to external users
(who by then will just be provided with a not-that-friendly error page).
I am searching for a way of doing "seamless deployment", i.o.w.
(re)deploying applications without the users noticing this. Simple idea,
initially, clustering comes to my mind, considering at least two
glassfish nodes running the same applications, having always "one
running" while the other one gets a new application version deployed,
providing users with an uninterrupted service. Question coming to my
mind about this is: What's the best way of doing so? Build a cluster
running two nodes, manually (and sequentially) deploying the
applications to node#1 and node#2, letting pass a reasonable amount of
time in between in order to have sessions replicated across the nodes?
Or does glassfish a more sophisticated means of implementing such a
scenario? Given apache2/mod_proxy_balancer in front of it, at least the
balancing / redirection of HTTP requests to "only" the working node can
be easily enforced so to me it comes down to meaningfully configure
glassfish.

Ideas, anyone?
TIA and best regards,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu_at_jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771 "One