users@glassfish.java.net

Custom Realms on Glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 12:03:03 PDT

Based on my observation Tomcat, JBoss, Resin, Jetty, Weblogic just require the developer to just implement the JAAS APIs LoginModule to develop a custom realm.

I would like to avoid writing appserver specific code as much as I can in my workspace. Based on the docs:
<snip url="https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/docs/DG/beabg.html#beabs">
Custom login modules must extend the com.sun.appserv.security.AppservPasswordLoginModule class. This class implements javax.security.auth.spi.LoginModule. Custom login modules must not implement LoginModule directly.
<snipt>

Any one has clue why Glassfish happens to be the only webcontainer that requires you to extend from a Glassfish proprietary class instead of letting the user directly implementing the JAAS API? Can this be considered a bug?

Also any reason why this class name keeps changing every release... SJS8.x SJS 7.x had a different class to extend from (I think).
[Message sent by forum member 'uppalapati' (uppalapati)]